This Star Wars article incorporates spoilers for The Mandalorian.
The fifth episode of The Mandalorian, titled “The Gunslinger,” is perhaps the present’s most referential but, as Mando and the Baby land in a really acquainted location from the movie saga. Alongside the best way, he encounters loads of different Star Wars references and easter eggs that eagle-eyed followers will certainly catch as they watch the episode. Listed below are the easter eggs we have discovered to this point:
– After visiting desert planets all through the present, the Mando has lastly arrived to the place all of it started: Tatooine. “The Gunslinger” references A New Hope extensively. It’s onerous to think about why the episode wanted to be on Tatooine apart from the fun of recognition: listed here are the Tusken Raiders, right here is the cantina (now staffed by the droids beforehand not allowed).
– Mando must cross the Dune Sea to seek out the notorious murderer Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen). He’s accompanied by Toro Calican (Jake Cannavale), a rookie bounty hunter with no expertise however loads of ferocity. As with many characters in The Mandalorian, he matches the basic mould of rogue — like Han Solo, he seems lounging within the cantina, informal and cocky if extra simply flustered than Han.
Stream Star Wars exhibits with a FREE TRIAL of Disney+, proper right here!
– Just like the Jawas in earlier episodes, Tusken Raiders had been a staple of the Star Wars universe from the phrase go. In A New Hope, they’re portrayed as harmful wanderers who knock Luke out to ransack his speeder. Subsequent Expanded Universe authors have been extra sympathetic to the Tuskens. This episode is, too: the Mando notes that Tusken Raiders might the truth is have lived within the desert earlier than people arrived. Someway, he is aware of methods to use their signal language to barter a approach throughout the desert as an alternative of combating.
– Two Authentic Trilogy creatures, dewbacks and banthas, have been given a slight facelift for The Mandalorian, however are additionally a part of the basic Star Wars toy field. Dewbacks had been one of many first main modifications to the Authentic Trilogy, with CGI mounts accompanying the stormtroopers trying to find R2-D2 and C-3P0 within the first act of the film. Banthas are at all times current the place Tusken Raiders are; some Expanded Universe writers established that proudly owning a bantha is a ceremony of passage for the younger, after which the creature turns into a central a part of a household group.
The Phantom Menace
– But once more, Mando has discovered himself restricted by his crumbling ship. It’s the identical scenario Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Padmé Amidala discover themselves in after they land on Tatooine to restore their ship in The Phantom Menace. In fact, the cease for provides and elements ended up being extra sophisticated than what Mando faces in “The Gunslinger.”
– The pit droids are one other creation of the Prequel Trilogy. Technically designated the DUM-series of pit droids, they’re mechanics’ helpers who will be programmed to do repairs in addition to broaden out to extra uncommon duties (comparable to hurrying to eliminate a lifeless physique for Pelli).
Learn Extra: 50 Finest Star Wars Alien Races
– Shand really makes a reference to Mos Espa, which is the spaceport the place Qui-Gon and Padme met Anakin Skywalker.
– The bartenders on the cantina are now not human. As a substitute, they’re all EV-series droids, the identical type as EV-9D9 from Jabba the Hutt’s palace. EV-9D9 was liable for assigning Jabba’s captured droids to their duties, and was comfortable to spend a few of her time torturing different droids to verify they complied along with her slimy grasp’s needs. The EVs within the cantina appear to behave based on their authentic programming, not a deviation like EV-9D9’s. They’re formally classed as “supervisor droids.”
– The red-painted astromech droid within the cantina is harking back to R4-P17, Obi-Wan Kenobi’s R4. These astromechs had been manufactured through the Clone Wars and typically used to pilot Jedi starfighters. They are often distinguished by the form of their head, which is extra angular than R2 items’ heads. (R4-P17 really has the extra rounded form, presumably in order that it was simpler for audiences to acknowledge her as an astromech like R2-D2.)
Learn Extra: How The Mandalorian Was Influenced by Lone Wolf and Cub
– “The Gunslinger” gives a second point out of womp rats, the massive, aggressive rodents native to Tatooine. They’re a helpful shorthand in The Mandalorian, used to specific reluctant affection towards Child Yoda. Womp rats had been launched in A New Hope when Luke Skywalker boasted he was completely able to hitting the Demise Star’s exhaust port—since womp rats weren’t a lot larger than the goal.
– In addition to Tatooine, two different planets are referenced within the episode: Toro desires to indicate off in entrance of the Mando, insisting that the speeder bikes he picked out are as much as par. He says they’re Corellian — from the identical planet the place foundries produce blisteringly quick starships just like the Millennium Falcon, and, apparently, quick and dependable speeder bikes. The primary take a look at Corellia’s foundries within the films had been in Solo: A Star Wars Story, the place Han grew up on the streets. Within the novel Resistance Reborn, it’s revealed that the First Order additionally took benefit of Corellia’s popularity for quick ships and took over a number of the starship foundries there.
– The opposite planet talked about is Nevarro, the Outer Rim planet the place Mando spent a few of his time getting new bounties from Greef in earlier episodes. It is also house to a Mandalorian hideout, the place the tribe operates in secret underneath the steering of the mysterious Armorer.
Learn Extra: 10 Worst Crimes Towards the Star Wars Authentic Trilogy
The Empire does not make an look within the flesh, however we do get a way of how the Imperial occupation of Tatooine ended. Bloody stormtrooper helmets mounted on pikes beautify the streets of Mos Eisley, suggesting that the folks of Tatooine ultimately took their planet again from the Empire.
Whereas we will not say for positive that the thriller character within the closing scene of the episode is certainly Boba Fett, his cape and the sound of spurs as he walks throughout the desert on the very least nod on the notorious Mandalorian bounty hunter. We talked far more about Boba Fett’s potential return right here.
– The spaceport operator Pelli Motto (Amy Sedaris) notices Mando has this on his ship after his battle with the bounty hunter Riot Mar (Rio Hackford) within the very starting of the episode. The build-up of black soot from laser weapons is a basic little bit of Star Wars pseudoscience. In A New Hope, Luke Skywalker notices that R2-D2 is unusually closely stricken with carbon scoring, an indication that he was probably in a battle. It may be cleaned off, however not simply.
– If the aforementioned speeder brikes appeared acquainted, that is as a result of they had been launched in Return of the Jedi. At first utilized by Imperial troops to weave by way of the redwood bushes on the forest moon of Endor, Luke and Leia Organa seize the bikes and use them to offer chase. The low slung saddles and lengthy steering vanes on the entrance create a basic Star Wars silhouette.
Megan Crouse writes about Star Wars and popular culture for StarWars.com, Star Wars Insider, and Den of Geek. Learn extra of her work right here. Discover her on Twitter @blogfullofwords.